Friday, March 16, 2007

Spring opener

I've always called my first big road ride of the season that. Of course, I started calling it 'spring opener' years back, when it truly was my first big road ride of the year. Nowadays that distinction is a little blurred, as I just keep riding through the winter. I used to pretty much restrict my riding to the trainer in the winter months. Three years back, I raced my first and an entire cyclocross season. It got me gradually acclimated to riding in the cold, so when winter came I just kept going. Obviously my milage isn't what it is in warmer seasons, but I do manage to get in lots of long rides; and the Pugsley has added many of those opportunities. Still, I always think of the first big road ride, inspired by relatively milder temperatures and a calendar date at least somewhat near to the vernal equinox, as the inaugural opening to the spring road riding season.So this past Sunday was that. The spring opener. I embarked upon this excursion with two riding friends known for their masochistic riding adventures; semi-pro racer, Jay Hilimire and Finger Lakes Highlander, Casey Conte. Knowing that our journey would surely traverse a number of dirt roads that are so characteristic of the rural Finger Lakes Highlands, not to mention the road intersections having been rendered tractionless to a breaking or corning set of wheels by winter sanding, my chosen steed for the day was my trusted Giant cyclocross bike. Our ride took us into the incredible hills surrounding beautiful Keuka Lake. Some of these grades exceed 20%. The day's tally? 80 miles and 7000 feet of vertical ascent. The views? Magnificent! Legs smoked? YOU BET! Hey. March 11th is early for this combination of distance and climbing.
The picture at the top of the post is looking southward, over the West branch of Keuka Lake and the Bluff Point peninsula that separates its East and West branches at the Northern end. That hill you're looking down is typical, though certainly not the steepest, of what you'll ride around here. The second picture, directly above, is taken not too far from the Bully Hill Vinyards and winery, and which sits atop a fast decent into the picturesque Village of Hammondsport. That's Casey, Jay, and I, left to right, with the view North towards Bluff Point and the split of the East and West branches. At the end of the day was the payoff, below. Guiness and warm food at Lloyds Limited Pub in Penn Yan. At about 3/4 of the way into the ride our knowing that this was waiting fortified our stamina to drive for the finish and guided us back with a homing instinct like bees headed for the hive. Cheers boys. Thanks for the adventure and here's looking to the season ahead!
There's doubtlessly more snow and miserable weather in store for us before we can expect any number of dependably warm days. In fact, it's snowing out as I write; 1" to 4" possible tonight. This past Sunday was just a teaser, and was a little deceiving at that. I think the days of biting cold and dreary skies are numbered for this season though... now that the spring opener, has passed.

No comments: