Saturday, February 17, 2007

My first post

What a beautiful day today. Especially after the run of weather we've been having lately. This is the first day that I've been able to ride without a jacket in all the weeks since we started getting hit with this season's serious snow. But then, I haven't minded the cold so much so far this year. After all the years I've been riding I'm finally starting to figure out how to dress for cold weather biking. Probably the fact that I carry around a little more fat than I did 4 or 5 years ago goes a long way in insulating me from the cold as well. Chalk it up to a slowing metabolism as a result of progressing age I guess; and the fact that I'm allowing myself to drink a little more beer this winter than I have in the past. Anyway, I started out with my Garneau Wind Dry Jacket and as seen in the photo above, ended up tieing it around my waist. Temp was in the high 20's I guess. Air was passing right through my two long sleeve jerseys and base layer. Actually this kept me nice and dry as opposed to the sweat build-up I've endured lately due to the extra layers I've had to wear because of the teen temperatures and steady winds. Funny, today the air felt like a 70 degree breeze blowing across me on an 80 degree day. Cool and refreshing, but never uncomfortable.
I started out at 1:00pm with the intention of riding the Fair Haven Rail Trail down to Cato and back. The Sterling Trail Tamers must have groomed last night, and not many sleds had been out. Those that had been on the trail had pretty much stayed to the middle, so the sides of the trail were still untilled from the paddle tracks. Real good riding! Once I hit the Rt 104 trail crossing where the Sterling Club leaves off and the Cato Trail Blazers pick up however, their groomer had not been out. The trail from this point was like fresh till, so I turned back and took C4 towards Hannibal when I got back to Sterling Station Rd. Encountered the same situation when I hit Wiltsieville Rd. More garden till from that point. Still, good milage...at least relative to snow riding...great weather, and got a couple of good photos. I'll probably hit it again tomorrow.

No comments: